Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Sing as if No One is Listening

This is not my own photo, but I do scatter seed on the ground for the birds.  It is an endless source of entertainment for my kitties watching the hungry little birdies feed.  I scatter it out in wide open places to give the birds are fighting chance.  Their keen eyes and fast reflexes keep them fairly safe. 

Hi, Friends.....

I am here to share a card I made by experimenting around with negative die cuts. These are the leftover outside parts of the paper that remain after a shape is die cut from it. Sometimes these just get tossed, but I strategically had cut the images so I could use them.  This Sizzix - TH Alterations - Bird Branch die is perfect for this because the shape leftover makes a great silhouette shaker.....or in my case this time, a non-shaker. :) You'll see what I mean.

First I took a negative in midnight blue card stock and stenciled some snowflakes over it with my Simon Says Stamp - Falling Snow stencil. I used an inexpensive white ink pad and a sponge dauber to get inside the little holes and then heat embossed with WOW! Embossing Powder - White Puff for a soft fluffy look and feel.

You can see that I use my old JoAnn.com packing slips for scrap paper.  I have a LOT of these!!  lol...
Then I trimmed a scrap of cardstock (this was a recycled piece of cardstock that had printing on the back side....since this was all going to be layered, it didn't matter if one side had Children's church craft printing on it!! lol...) to fit under my bird and branch shape and covered it with a piece from my Scrapbook Adhesives - Adhesive Sheets to make it sticky all over. Then I sprinkled iridescent white sequins and white sparkly glitter over it to completely cover it.


I glued a piece of acetate film to a shimmery silver negative of the die cut and then layered the blue one over that one just slightly offset to give a shiny "shadow" that is difficult to see in the photo below. Then I layered the sequined piece under the acetate window and put this on a white card base. So this gives the impression of a shaker, but all the shaker bits are glued down and enables this card to be quite thin and flat.


I finished it up with a sentiment from my Quietfire Designs - The Woods Would be Very Silent stamp set that I stamped in blue and heat embossed with clear powder. I cut it out in a curvy shape to accentuate the lovely calligraphy and mounted it on dimensional foam. I also outlined the entire card front with my silver Elmer's - Painters Marker.

Hope you enjoyed seeing my experiment. I like it a lot and I hope you do, too. Thank you for stopping by today. It is a snowy day here in Idaho. If you are experiencing wintery weather, please do not take chances on the roads......just stay home and craft!! :)

<3
Janis


Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Cards in Envy - Snow Birds
2. Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Be Square (My card is square.)
3. The Male Room Challenge #51 - Anything Goes
4. Word Art Wednesday Weeks 264-265 - AG with Family Friendly Sentiment
5. Daisy Chain Challenge #4 - Add Some Sparkle
6. Cuttlebug Mania - Winter Wonderland - use manual die cutting machine, any mfr (I used a Big Shot.)
7. Tuesday Throwdown Challenge #325 - Snowflakes
8. Make My Monday Challenge #37 - A Winter's Walk
9. Craft Stamper January TIMI Challenge - Anything Goes (must stamp)
10. Unicorn Challenge #17 - January Blues
11. Great Impressions - January Color Challenge

 










17 comments:

  1. that is one bad kitty :D

    your card is very beautiful!
    hugs, Ŧĭƙĭ
    ≽ܫ≼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful snow and snowbird card! I love your technique! Thanks for sharing it with us at Cards in Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your experiment turned into this gorgeous card, and never seen a non shaking shaker before :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card and I love the instructions! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Tuesday Throwdown Challenge....it's always a pleasure seeing your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty creation! I love the negative die effect! Thanks for playing along with us at Great Impressions and good luck! Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful winter card!
    Thank you for joining Cuttlebug Mania this time!
    Swissie DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you used the negative piece left over from die cutting and I also think you are clever to make a non-shaking shaker card. Too cool! Actually, downright cold with all that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CLEVER and impressive successful experiment. Great work. Thank you for linking to us at The Male Room ATG challenge. Hope to see you again.
    Faith DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely card and beautiful sentiment. Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us. I hope you will join us again over at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun take on a shaker card Janis! I had to come over for a closer look and read through your explanation of the process because I could not figure out how you made the falling snow. So...stencil, white ink pad, sponge dauber, and embossing powder....got it! That little bird looks like he's singing up a storm and celebrating winter all out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. ..this is so fabulous!

    thank you so much for playing along with us at make my Monday!

    hugs and kisses from germany,
    silvi xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely card and I adore the snowy wintery scene you've created...it's fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A clever way to use negative die card. A very pretty and cleverly constructed card. Thanks for sharing with us at Make My Monday. Caz DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely. I really like all the dimension and shimmer too. Great words. Sorry to be so late commenting, and thanks for playing along with our Anything Goes Challenge at The Male Room. Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning make thanks for playing at Unicorn Challenge Blog lisa DT https://handmadewithlovebylisa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! Thank you for joining our Great Impressions Color Challenge this month.
    Ruza
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!! Thank you for joining with us at Daisy Chain Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis