Saturday, December 5, 2015

Collage-Style Christmas Cards




Hi, Friends.....


I am here to share a pretty little pair of cards I made for Jennifer Grace's Frosty Festivities 2015. These were inspired by Jennifer's "Speedy Crafting - Using a Recipe" post here. I really didn't follow a recipe, per se, but I was inspired by the collage look using a background of three patterned papers and layers of ephemera. Anytime I see a background like that, I think "SCRAPS!!!" :) Love getting to pull some of those out of my stash to use!!!

I dry embossed my background panels with my Darice - Interlocking Circles folder to give a nice finished look........and also to flatten the panels after wet gluing the three strips on the cardstock base that you can't see! :) (Always give your liquid glue plenty of time to dry before dry embossing! Don't ask me how I know that...... lol..)


After preparing my backgrounds, it was time to have fun arranging the little ephemera.  I used some pieces from older holiday DCWV stacks that had pages of tags, etc to cut out.  

So sad this shimmery gold meshy ribbon is almost gone....WAAAAAAAH!!!!  :*(

The piece with the little dangling ornament design above had a To: and From: printed on it....I covered that part with the NOEL piece.  I bet you thought that was artfully arranged, instead of desperately arranged, didn't you?  Ha. 



I added some subtly patterned cardstock die cut with my Sizzix - Fancy Labels Dies and a poinsettia with added Prima layers and a pink brad from my stash that I couldn't believe actually matched.

HINT:  Don't be afraid to try out some colors together that initially don't seem like they would work. My daughter and I were trying to layer up this poinsettia with colors closer to those in the card. They just didn't have the right look....until I thought to try pink, of all things! Then to discover I had a brad that same color was just amazing. Even though there is no other pink on the card, I think it is perfect here. What do you think?

I hope you enjoyed this little duo. It's another no-stamping project! With so many pretty papers and ephemera, I could just put all my stamps and ink away, couldn't I? lol... Nev-uhhhhh!! But I do like to make no-stamping cards, occasionally. :)

As much as I would like to have participated in Jennifer Grace's Frosty Festivities more, I have just one more project to post for it. Then it is on to other parts of holiday preparations. (I told myself I would make as many cards as I could for her blog event and then I would stop with holiday cards. That was before my son brought me home a beautiful thrift store rubber stamp to use for Christmas cards!! Sooooooo, I will make some with it, but it won't be until next week. Then I will be done. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight..... lol....)

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments mean so much to me!! Have a lovely weekend.
<3

22 comments:

  1. Wow!! I just love these cards Janis...they may be my favorite of your Christmas cards so far. The DCWV papers and embellishments are so beautiful and I always love your embossed, paneled backgrounds. That layered poinsettia is so pretty and I agree that your pink brad center is perfection! I almost never make cards that don't have some stamping on it but after seeing these beauties I'm going to have to dive in. Oh yes, and that cat cartoon make me snort with laughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super classy cards - I just love everything about these and the style is just wonderful :-D I might just have to CASE these designs !! :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page
    Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Janis - you sure did a wonderful job with these two cards! Gorgeous rich colours, lots of interesting elements and layers - and great designs of course! A neat trick to run the card front through the EF to even things out! That's the second time I've read that in the past few days - in fact the first time was without an EF but for similar reasons. We sure come up with some good ideas to sort out problems :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are so beautiful Janis, a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The collection of papers on these collage cards is outstanding and makes for a very nice Christmas card. I had forgotten about running the card through an EF to make it textured. Thanks for joining in the Mod Squad Challenge this week. Hope to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning cards Janis! You perfectly combined the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous cards. Great bow. I just love that fantastic flower. Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper challenge.
    Margaret, DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards. I like the look of the interlocking circles embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the two cards you created. The embossed background looks great. What a great way to use up some scraps. Thank you for joining the DL.ART December Linky Challenge. Katie-DL.ART-DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these Christmas cards too! So pretty! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful I love how this came out.!!!
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes DECEMBER Linky Challenge. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.

    DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
    DL.ART
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
    http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janis..I love all the element on your card and all in red woooww great christmas card and thanks for sharing with us at ATSM this week
    see you again maybe next week
    hugs,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow these are very lovely creations!! Love the papers, colors and designs for both of these Holidays makes! ;) Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Addicted to Stamps & More! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely batch of christmas cards and really love the flower on the 2nd one!! thanks for playing with Cards In Envy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Artfully" vs "desperately" arranged -- HAHA, still laughing over that one. I mostly do the latter.

    As for colors, I think if you match the background, things get lost. It's all about contrast, baby. I think on your card the pink was perfect! (Pink, in my world, is GAH!)

    And personally, not that you asked, but a no-stamping card, while useful at times, always feels like cheating to me. This was a tough challenge for me!

    Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash for our No Stamping challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twpo great cards. I had a chuckle about the desperately arranged! Yes indeed...I know those words well!!!

    Have fun at Jennifer's do. I won a lovely prize there a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fantastic like all your cards! I love the big poinsettia, and yes, I agree the pink goes well! Thank you so much for joining in with Frosty Festivities 2015! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. WoW... very festive and elegant cards.. Love the embossing pannel background and the layout of both cards are classic.
    Thank you for joining our Craftin Desert Divas Christmas Linky Party!
    Hv a Wonderful Holidays...
    DT Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, so cool! Love the layering and
    the interest it adds! Thank you so much
    for also sharing with us ladies at Craftin
    Desert Divas!
    God bless and Merry Christmas!

    Warmly, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous cards - love the fact that they are no stamping! The embossed background over the DP is a beautiful touch! Thanks so much for joining us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis