Saturday, March 29, 2014

Daydream Today.......

Hi, Everyone....

Yay!  I finally have a day free where I can post a card on here.  I am sharing a spring-y card that I made for my mom-in-law's birthday.   


I originally intended to have a "happy birthday" greeting on the front.  However, after I got the butterfly outlined with my black Sakura Glaze gel pen and enhanced with some red/gold glitter glue and beads, my eyes fell on this wood veneer "daydream today" and somehow it seemed right.  I put Happy Birthday inside the card, instead. :)

Here's a close-up of the butterfly so you can see how I accentuated it to make it more of a focal point.  I glued the seed beads on with a generous pool of Tombow Aqua Glue around each bead.  It dries clear and a bit glossy, which was fine for my little guy here.


I used part of a pretty purple Zva swirl for the butterfly's trail.  Love this bling that I won in a Zva hop.  To be honest, I have been a little bit too intimidated to use these lovely rhinestone swirls because they so lovely and big and wonderful and gorgeous.  I was afraid I would mess them up or waste them.  But I noticed others cutting them into smaller segments and that seemed more approachable.  Bingo....or maybe I should say...Bling-o!  They are much easier to work with than I thought, and the smaller segments work great for my cards.  :)  THANKS, Zva!!!  I LOVE these!!!

I inked my papers with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then sprinkled the doily and the purple piece with gold embossing powder.  I shook a lot of it off, but left it in sweeps and patches before zapping it with my heat gun to give a gilded antiqued look.  I love doing this.  It's the same technique I used in the first card I posted on this blog.  I love the mix of speckled and solid gold places.

I slightly enhanced the flowers with some pink glitter glue spread across the blossoms and some metallic Gelly Roll pens.  I also inked up the wood veneer with some brown pigment ink and used some of the same red/gold glitter glue to match the butterfly.

The purple paper is from DCWV.  The green butterfly and flower paper is from K&Co, as is the tan/cream background paper.  The acetate ribbon is ancient....some I picked from a thrift store a few days ago.  The label looks like it is from the 60s or 70s, at the latest.  The doily is from my stash.  The wood veneer is from some happy mail I got from a sweet blogger.....I think it was Amy Tsuruta....but this got separated from the little pkg she sent and I sadly lost track.

I am mailing this card out today.  Hope my dear mom-in-law likes it.  :)  Love you, Nan!

<3
Janis

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Make Something Monday #12 -- Use a Doily
2.  Kaboodle Doodle Challenge 216 -- Dreaming of Spring
3.  Sweet Stamps Challenge #162 -- Swirls
4.  The House that Stamps Built   DCC326 ~ Things With Wings



********************************
CAT STATUS UPDATE:
This week I tackled the task of sorting out my canning jars.  After eating a lot of our canned food over the winter, my jars were in disarray.  Many had been put away in mixed boxes of quarts, pints, and half-pints of both regular and wide mouth varieties.  I brought up from the pantry box after box, some sorted but only half-filled and some full of mixed jars. I had them all over the place with the crumpled paper padding spilling everywhere.  Naturally, Andromeda thought she had lost all 9 of her lives and gone straight to cat heaven!!

Andromeda helping me pack away canning jars.  Can you see her eyes in there?
*********************************

2 comments:

  1. Pretty card! I'm sure your mother-in-law will love it! Thanks for joining us at Where Life Meets Art for our Make Something Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made a pretty card. Thanks for joining us over at SweetStamps.com.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis